It seems I’ve been a little out of sorts lately. Maybe you’ve noticed by the decline in my posts. Maybe not.
A friend of mine posted an article on Facebook “13 Things Mentally Strong People Do”.
They say opinions are like ——-, everyone has one. We also view strength by our life experiences. I’ve always felt like a survivor. I’ve NEVER felt weak, until I read this article. I do not think that was the authors intent. However, that’s how I felt. Was that weakness? According to her it is.
Strength and weakness are relative. Psych 101. Everything is relative. Some might view her article as cold, harsh and removed. Others that can relate, possibly felt empowered by it.
Needless to say, me, although I felt weakened by some of the 13 things chose to print them out and work on them. I could only feel weakened by them if I didn’t feel I possess them right?
Not necessarily. It’s just my view of mental strength was based on my life which has been good old fashioned fight or flight.
Don’t get me wrong, a lot of the “things” I do. But some I don’t. Some I’m learning and some I never looked at as a strength or a weakness. What I would have liked is for the author to help the not so strong by giving pointers on how not to continue doing what they are.
We have to love this new age of internet blogging. Sharing our views with someone next door or around the world is possible. If we are open to looking at things in a different light we have a lot to learn and our personal growth will be exponential. We are blessed to have this gift.
You can read the article here. It’s also linked above.
Here’s my take:
1: They don’t waste time feeling sorry form themselves- How to fix : make a plan to change your circumstances. Dream of what you want, where you want to be, how you want people to treat you. Imagine that is exactly as it is. When it isn’t that way. Imagine it to be anyway, one day it will be.
2. They don’t give away their power- How to fix: DO NOT take anything personally. People treat you based on the way the feel about their self, not you. You cannot take anything personally.
3. They don’t shy away from change- How to fix : think of all the changes you have gone through. There are more than you know. Also make a pros and cons list. If that still doesn’t work you pretend the change is temporary. Eventually you will get through it. Then challenge yourself to do new things every week or month.
4. They don’t waste energy on things they can’t control- How to fix: when something happens automatically think “will this matter in a year?” Realize that sometimes misfortunes happen for a reason. Nothing happens by chance. Embrace the situation. Ask what lesson you need to learn. Who are you there to
meet. These are divine interventions, to me.
5. They don’t worry about pleasing everyone- How to fix: uh, need help here!
6. They don’t fear taking calculated risks- How to fix: again make a pros and cons list, talk to people, get advice and do research.
7. The don’t dwell on the past- How to fix: Take a few moments or more. Whatever you need to visit the old you that goes to the past. Tell that person, because you are not the same, to stay where they are, that you are great where you are now. You are full of experience because of them and don’t need them any longer. Do this as often as you need to until you stop. It might sound hokey but it works.
8. They don’t make the same mistakes over and over- How to Fix: Sometimes we
make the same mistakes in different ways. If you are doing this you need a trustworthy friend or relative to help you figure out why you keep dating the same
type of person and help you not, for example. Or maybe you spend too much money? Come up with a plan to have bills automatically paid on payday and the rest going to saving. Only leaving enough for incidentals. I don’t know really. You have to do what works for you but stops the cycle too!
10. They don’t give up after their first failure- How to Fix: we wouldn’t have any modern conveniences without failure. Ask any successful person about failure. They all have. Figure out what mistakes were made and don’t do it again. You’ve made mistakes. Learning to walk, talk, write and on and on.
11. They don’t fear alone time – How to
Fix: if this is a problem for you. Start slowly by going to one place alone. Get a coffee alone for example. Expand to the movies alone. This is very good for the soul. Opens doors to meeting others as well.
12. They don’t feel the world owes them
anything- How to fix: unfortunately this society has become full of entitled
people. It might sound silly but a simple way to take this away is to take away your everyday conveniences or not live as large. It’s amazing what packing up
most of your home and living only on BARE necessities will teach you. Experience talking here!
13. They don’t expect immediate results- How to fix: this kinda goes with entitlement. “I want it now!” If you want something wait a week. If you still want it and can afford it, get it. Or pretend order things online. One thing I personally do is write my weight 5 pounds more in my weight charts to constantly strive for more. Patience is a virtue very few have.
What do you think? What are your suggestions? What would you add or take away?
Thanks for reading and have a blessed day!!!!